Train traveling is one of the most common methods of travel for people in India and while this mode of transport is very common, there was never an insurance that was so economical and convenient till date. based on the new IRCTC travel insurance, people can book a travel insurance at just Rs. 0.92 paisa. The only way you can book the travel insurance however is by booking an e-ticket via the IRCTC website.
The scheme is valid for all classes of tickets booked via the e-ticket mode; however it will not be applicable for sub urban trains. IRCTC has partnered with multiple insurance companies including ICICI Lombard General Insurance, Royal Sundaram and Shriram General to create the scheme.
According to the scheme people get covered for various mishaps that could occur during travel. This includes injury or death from a train accident, terrorist attacks, dacoit attacks, rioting, shoot-outs and more.
Here are a few facts about the travel insurance scheme introduced by IRCTC
.• This insurance scheme is applicable only to Indian citizens. Citizens of any other country are not covered under this scheme.
• While this scheme is optional, it will be mandatory for all passengers under the same PNR if it is exercised.
• A premium amount of just 92 paise per passenger will be charged.
• All eligible customers will receive the policy details via a text message and via an email on their email ID. This message will be from the insurance company directly.
• Once the tickets have been booked, the details of the nominees need to be filled on the website of the insurance company.
• The coverage will be for each passenger that falls under the PNR. This can be in the case of permanent total disability, death, and permanent partial disability or hospitalization expenses due to injury or transportation for mortal remains due to a rail accident or any other accident.
• Children below the age of five years are not covered under this scheme.
• If there is a delay of trains and the passenger opts for an alternate mode of transport that has been arranged by the railways, this journey will also be covered under this scheme.
• No refund of premium will be available in the case of wait listed tickets.
The insurance scheme is as follows
• In case of death or permanent damage – Rs. 10,00,000
• In case of partial disability – Rs. 7,50,000
• Hospital Expense – Rs. 2,00,000
• Transport of Remains – Rs. 10,000